The digital world is increasingly integrated into the real world, bringing with it solutions and new insights that make our daily lives easier. This is only possible due to big data.
This large number of data, generated with each new click, is responsible for the development of better products and for leveraging the experiences we have, provided they are used properly.
According to Oracle, the volume of data doubles every two years, which represents amounts that we can’t even imagine! Therefore, it is necessary to understand the main characteristics and peculiarities of big data.
What is big data?
Big data is the term coined in the 2000s to refer to large volume data sets . These large sets are generated and often form the so-called database .
Contrary to what one might think, the presence of large data sets is not new. Its emergence refers to the 60s and 70s, with the development of relational databases.
The exponential growth of big data was leveraged with the popularization of the Internet of Things, whose equipment becomes a source of data acquisition about customers.
Smart watches that receive phone calls and that store heart rate data are just one in a series of thousands of devices that acquire data. However, it is not enough to have a large amount of information, it is necessary to know how to deal with it.
Big data refers to the large amount of existing data, whether structured or unstructured. As a result, the complexity of the data is greater, requiring specialized methods for its treatment.
This is the main question surrounding big data: how to process, analyze and transform data into valuable information, which will bring competitive advantages?
For this, Big Data Analytics, predictive models, and several other techniques are used. It is essential to find ways to know what the data is trying to say about your business, and your customers, as well as possible insights that will dictate future actions in your company.
Another tool that helps with data processing is Power BI. The software was created by Microsoft as a solution for the Business Intelligence area. If you haven’t mastered more advanced tools yet, learning about Power BI is a great way to start.
What is big data for?
Because the data is generated almost in real time, its variability is great and, therefore, its application is as well. As a result, we can use data analysis for numerous types of industries and applications.
- For a better example, check out the list below:
- In the industry: big data can accelerate procedures, predict failures and optimize processes ;
- In social networks: big data can improve the production of content, making the direction between what the user wants to see and what he finds available;
- In finance: through big data, it is possible to check for the presence of fraud and to verify the identity of users;
- In marketing: with big data, it is easier to understand the customer’s behavior, their buying habits, thus improving business sales;
- In HR: through big data, you can better view an employee’s main information, his indicators, his number of absences, and also his productivity.
It’s really amazing how good use of data can bring many benefits, isn’t it? With it, it is possible to make the right decisions, reducing the chance of failures and losses.
Learn more about data science by joining our data science course in Mumbai.